Flying while limiting exposure to COVID-19 is now possible! IATA (the International Air Transport Association) reported the last 20th of May new instructions regarding air travel. Even if keeping away all risks of infection to COVID sounds quite a challenge, especially at the airport and on a plane, hygienic measures have been implemented to relaunch air traffic gradually.
– wearing a mask and maybe gloves are compulsory
– availability of hand sanitizers
– social distancing (1-2 m) by keeping some seats empty
– disinfection and cleaning of the whole aircraft after each fly
AT THE AIRPORT
– social distancing especially in lineups
– temperature checks on departure and/or arrival
– possibility of testing for COVID-19 on departure and/or arrival depending on the country and on the passenger’s status
– better handling of boardings to prevent crowding
– entry forms to complete concerning the state of health of the passenger in some countries (Spain)
The issue of immunity passports has also emerged. It would exclude a passenger from temperature checks and face covers in case he has a certificate proving previous contamination, so a form of immunity. However, it is doubtful that we will benefit from such a passport because its implementation could lead to an intentional exposition to the virus from the passengers.